Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day at the beach


Not me, not today, although it was certainly a warm and beautiful day. Remember this gull from the postcard? Well I've now almost finished a nearly life-sized portrait of it. I'm feeling pretty pleased with this painting - the simplicity, the high contrast. I think the beak may be a drop too long, but nothing to be done about it. I plan to add just a little more color and detail to the gull, but not so you'd notice, and a little more shading to the sand. Gotta show the contours under the shadow to explain why it isn't shaped more like the bird. But that's all.

1 comment:

  1. Larus - Californicus (California) Occidentalus (Western) Delewarensis (Ring-Billed)

    i should really get back to practicing those things for my wetlands job, so much on my mind.

    Love this one, almost as much as the rest of your blog. I'm with Danny, the Castle Green one is BOSS

    ReplyDelete