Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tomatoes and their pests


I painted this when I was starting to be serious about painting with watercolors, and not just using them because they were around and they were quick. I had a book I purchased at the Art Institute in Chicago about painting with watercolors. I think I had live tomatoes, but looking at leaves, I have my doubts. Then I painted the worm. Of all the world's creatures, they are among my favorites. They delighted me through my childhood, when I didn't care for tomatoes. I haven't actually seen one since; I know they are out there, because I hear people complain, but for all my recent organically grown tomato crops, I've seen not a single worm. I'll keep trying. If I am unsuccessful in luring the moths, at least I'll have lovely fresh tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment