Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hahamongna


I painted at Hahamongna Watershed Park. Quite a name, yes? It was the name of a tribe of Tongva people who used to live in the area. Before JPL, before the freeway, before Devil's Gate Dam. Now the area is occupied by disc golfers, birdwatchers and dog walkers. But, oh the old oak trees, and the birds and wildflowers. And views of majestic mountains, and slightly less majestic hillside homes.

When I started to paint this, it seemed like an interesting composition. There were dramatic morning shadows on the mountains and a pair of phone poles on the left. The sun got higher and ate the shadows. Lack of time and painterly courage eliminated the phone poles. The result is pretty disappointing to me. I'm thinking about putting down the oils for a while, and focusing exclusively on the watercolors. I only really have a few hours a week to paint right now, so focus will be useful.

2 comments:

  1. o focus. if only I knew it.

    I see what you're saying here, but for a disappointing outcome, it is still very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be disappointed - there is so much to like here! Especially those soft, rolling hills and the variety of greens you were able to achieve. I try to look at it this way - not every painting is a 'masterpiece' (none in my case!!!!), but each painting you do teaches you more about the art of trying to paint what you see.

    ReplyDelete