Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jay and Crow



After countless tries, I've taken a bird photo that makes me happy. I stood still for quite a while, keeping the camera ready. The picture tells part of a story that plays itself out every morning in my yard. I put peanuts out for the birds and squirrels. Squawking and following me, the jays get there first, and call to other jays, who also come. They test the peanuts, and pick out the heaviest ones. They carry them away and eat or hide them. When I am further away from the peanuts, the crows come. They eat the peanuts right where they find them, dropping the shells in the dog's water bowl. More rarely, when neither I nor the crows are near, wonderful woodpeckers get peanuts and carry them off. Finally the squirrels come, getting whatever peanuts are left, including some the jays tried to hide. It's a pretty great way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment