Saturday, August 14, 2010

Arlington Garden


This three-acre plot of land is owned by the California Department of Transportation, for possible future construction of a freeway extension, which has been hotly contested for over forty years. After many years as a neglected vacant lot, it was envisioned as a community garden. Now it has become one. I chose my subject largely for the shade, because it was a hot morning. I think it's a pleasant painting but a little bland. I didn't think it looked all that much like it was painted on location. Perhaps it's the lack of sky, but anyway, I decided to include a photo of the painting on the easel. As proof. I'd be in the picture too, except I was taking it.

4 comments:

  1. It is a pleasing work as you mentioned Barbara, the shadows are intense as it is in the site, but with some sort of a subdued glaze all over.I liked the way you have handled it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a cool place to go and what a great sketch. I want to sit right down and stay awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shadowing is beautiful and delicate. Great handling of this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the light feel to this. Makes me want to sit down in that chair & just take in the scenery.

    ReplyDelete