Sunday, February 11, 2018

Flowers

When I paint out in the world, I need to first pick a subject.  If I don't see something on the horizon to make a picture, I draw my gaze closer - from the forest to a tree, from a cityscape to a doorway.  I am nearsighted anyhow.  In this  instance, I visually plucked some flowers from an abundant garden.

A handful of people tell me with some frequency that I should paint flowers more often.  Generally, though, I don't feel like it.  I am forever grateful that Cezanne,Van Gogh, O'Keeffe, and Merian painted flowers.    But I can't get past the feeling that my own paintings aren't nearly as nice as living (or cut) flowers.  They do at least last longer.

3 comments:

  1. finally you're back. I've checked here several times in the past. I love your flow-ers and i agree you should paint them more often but then if you don't feel like it - ..I get that! Glad to see this from you. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love iris, and this painting of them, and I remember the day you painted these. It's still the home screen on my phone, except that it's on my old phone so I don't see it as often anymore...

    ReplyDelete