Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crowned with Glory

This is First Church of Christ, Scientist in Pasadena.  It is built in a Classical Revival style, which few other buildings in Pasadena are.  It reminds me of Washington, D.C.  White buildings, like white birds or flowers, are pleasing to paint in watercolor.  For the white portions in light, you use no paint at all.  For  the shadows, you may use any color you please.  I strain my eyes to see the shadows as polychromatic.  I was happy here to be able to capture some of the reflected light in the shadows.  I'm pretty pleased with this painting.  It was about 105 degrees out yesterday.  I moved repeatedly just to stay in the shade.  

2 comments:

  1. You have every right to be pleased with the painting, it's beautiful! Great job Barbara.
    Warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. I'd love to see these in the Pasadena Museum of History gift shop. There is another watercolorist whose Pasadena Landmarks get a bunch of attention, but I prefer yours.

    btw: did you see the California art show recently there?

    ReplyDelete