Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gulf Fritillary


Here is a gulf fritillary in the pear tree. I took the reference photograph early in the morning and caught the butterfly sleeping. They don't stay still long when they're awake. It was a few a months ago as you can see because the tree had leaves. These gulf fritillaries are ubiquitous in my garden. In the afternoon in season, there is always a crowd of them. I take them a little for granted in fact, and have nearly forgotten that they are exotic and beautiful, as is the passion vine that lured them to my home. They are medium-sized butterflies with proportionately long wings with silvery spots on the underside.

I'm fairly happy with this painting, especially the shadows in the folds of the wings which were tricky, and the branches which effortlessly sprung from my paint brush like magic.

Thanks to George Liang, who painted me painting, I have a new profile picture.

3 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. You are right - the wings are painted beautifully - very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful painting, and I didn't know this butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love each and every one of your bug, insect paintings...this is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete