Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Challenged

One of the things I like best about the world is that there are many little worlds within the world.  There are worlds that are very familiar to me, and many more I don't even know.  The worlds I dwell in include painters, dog-owners, and people who blog.  We have our own language, tools, ways of meeting, and things other people just wouldn't get.  I once was a band parent and a folk-dancer.  There are wine-drinkers, golfers, bingo-players, sailors, motorcyclists, swap meet people, runners, bookclubs and birdwatchers.  Families are little worlds, as are religious communities, schools and neighborhoods.  There are millions of online communities surrounding games and other interests or shared experience.  There are groups like Alcoholics Anonymous and Weight Watchers that come together to support their members.  

When you do things alone, you can challenge yourself and set goals, but you can't compete with yourself, and, even if you could, you could still cheat with impunity.  You can affirm yourself and encourage yourself, but when you need encouragement and affirmation the very most, you will find it the hardest to deliver.  So in the online art world, there are challenges.  The challenges foster community and competition.  There are a few different challenges I've participated in and shared here.  One is the Every Day in May challenge, where we receive 31 drawing subject prompts, one for each day, and each day we prepare and post a sketch.  These are some of my favorites from 2016.




I am aware of challenges for writers and fitness buffs and beer drinkers.  I've no doubt that every stripe of community has (or could have) challenges to encourage greater levels of experience or accomplishment.  I checked, because I was curious, and found all sorts of challenges.  Typically, challenges last for a set duration of time, often 30 days.  I found this collection of 30 challenges  and this collection of 100 challenges.  The latter also references a book with 500 challenges.  I think if you wanted to do them all, you would have to overlap significantly, or you just wouldn't have time.  I think I could use a good challenge.  Anybody out there want to make a challenge?  I'll  take it, but you have to try it too.  

 


5 comments:

  1. oh what a great post. I enjoyed reading it all and of all the paintings, gotta love Kermit the best. I use to do a series of frog sketches but my frog was named Pogo. Maybe this is enough to inspire me to sketch and give life to Pogo again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, and definitely some favorites from the May challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time piece is lively! I really wish I had to patience to take up a challenge because I love what others are doing with the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very good with greens and those limes look beautiful - and, of course, Kermit is always a fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara :) I saw your comment over at Michael's Scribble Picnic. I hope you join in! I actually started a daily drawing challenge on January 20th and have only missed 2 days in between. It's been wonderful because I never thought I could draw and didn't want to try. Now I can't go a day without it! :) I like the links you provided for the challenge ideas. It's good to push a little each day, it's a very rewarding experience. I love Kermit!!! :)

    ReplyDelete