Monday, April 30, 2012

Parades

I select the places I (or sometimes we) paint several weeks in advance. I do that because it's easier. I used to put more thought into the schedule - to try to have some rhyme, reason or theme, and try to select places near or at where interesting things were happening. Nowadays it's kind of random, so I usually find myself on the opposite side of the metropolitan area from where I might want to be. But once in a while, I collide with serendipity.

I painted the Tournament House on Saturday, and traveled from there across Pasadena to the Doo Dah Parade. If you don't know, the Tournament House (which I still know as the Wrigley Mansion) is the headquarters of the Tournament of Roses. The Tournament of Roses is the organization that brings you the Rose Parade, an extremely traditional, highly produced, and somewhat rigid parade down Colorado Boulevard of marching bands, flower-decked floats, equestrians, beauties, and luminaries every January 1 (or January 2 should the 1st fall on a Sunday.) The Doo Dah parade was born on a Sunday to poke fun at the Rose Parade; it is sort of a counter-culture irreverent free-for-all. The Rose Parade and the Doo Dah Parade are two different faces of Pasadena. They are both wonderful and exuberant and worth watching. The Tournament House was quiet and lovely on Saturday. I had not taken in the gardens before, but I'm sure I will again.

The painting was smaller and quicker, and I made some mistakes, but I'm trying to convince myself there's a charming whimsey to its wonkiness. Because I'm not completely proud of it, I'm sharing my favorite photos from Saturday. There is an excellent shadow from the Tournament House and the wonderful contraption that brought up the rear of the Doo Dah Parade.




5 comments:

  1. I always like seeing your paintings and...reading about areas in Pasadena I'd like to visit. I had heard about the Doo Da parade but never have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit. It's a lot of fun seeking out places to paint. DooDah parade is also lots of fun.

      Delete
  2. I find there's a thin line between whimsey and wonky. And that cat is wonky. I was at the parade too but hiding out on Nina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably correct about the cat. It wasn't the thing I liked best in the parade, but it's the best picture, I think because I was standing behind an awful lot of people. I'm sorry I didn't meet you. Must do.

      Delete
  3. I'm honored and humbled in your presence Queen Patrizzi Intergarlicita. Thank you for your visit and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete